Whenever a new system prepares for launch, rumors and speculation seem to flood the internet as though a dam had burst wide open. Unfortunately, the holding pond behind the dam is usually full of garbage and the unknown. APPLE devices seem to get the most publicity from the rumors and leaked specs, but the Wii U is fast approaching the same level of notoriety.
The latest Wii U rumors have been started by a “supposed” developer at Ubisoft Milan. The developer has claimed to have leaked some very specific details about the Wii U on an online forum. I have listed the details of his forum post below, however please advise that none of the below information has been confirmed by Nintendo, and there is no guarantee that the OP is not a 14 year old Playstation or Xbox fan just trying to spread rumors.
To see the “leaked” specs read on…
- Wii U supports DirectX 11 and is already running Unreal Engine 4
- Wii U will support to touch-screen controllers
- The console has 2GB or RAM, 560MB dedicated to the OS
- The launch date will be 23 November
- Launch price hasn’t been decided but will be between $350 – $450
- Rayman Legends, The Avengers, Assassin’s Creed 3, Just Dance 4 are all on Ubisoft’s Wii U schedule, with Killer Freaks from Outer Space set to arrive weeks after launch.
- There are currently multiple versions of the console with developers
- Graphics are powered by the Radeon HD 6770 chipset
- Assassin’s Creed 3 will run at 60fps at 1080p, compared to 720p on PS3 and Xbox 360
- Wii U will come with pre-installed software
- Crytek, EA and Valve are all working on Wii U
- Valve are working on a digital distribution platform and Portal ports
- Wii U will support achievements
- Wii U’s UI will be customisable
- The new button has some link to the Wii Vitality Sensor
- The trigger buttons won’t be analogue
So, if these are real specs, what are your thoughts? Too good to be true, doesn’t meet your expectations, or is it still just a rumor to you until E3 confirms? Personally, I am going with rumor until E3, but will be pretty excited if this is all true (except for the price, I would really like it to be cheaper, but I am a cheapskate!) Or should we even bother with rumors and leaks right now? E3 is not far away, so should we just wait it out?